Make this once with measuring spoons and cups; the next time, just eyeball it, adjusting any or all of the ingredients to suit your palate. Then you can call it your classic.
SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT ½ CUP
• 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• ½ cup olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
ACTIVE: 5 MINTOTAL: 5 MIN
• Whisk garlic, vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil until emulsified; season with salt and pepper.
• Do Ahead: Dressing can be made 2 days ahead. Transfer to a jar; cover and chill.
• Recipe by Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirsheimer